Protecting What Matters Most
Macomb County Child Support Attorney
We Fight for You & Your Children
Regardless of your circumstances, we can help you seek the child support you need to provide for your family. We have extensive experience helping families throughout Macomb County. If you have questions, we encourage you to contact us.
Are you behind on your child support payments?
Our firm can help you get caught up and avoid serious consequences such as wage garnishment. We can also represent you in court if you need to dispute the amount of child support you owe.
How Is Child Support Calculated in Michigan?
Michigan uses a formula to determine the amount of child support a parent must pay or receive. The formula takes into consideration the parents' incomes and the number of children they have together. Parents can agree on the amount of support to be paid, but it is important to have a court-approved agreement in case of a future dispute.
Your case will be evaluated by a Michigan family law judge, who will determine the final amount to be paid. Factors that can increase support include:
- The parent's income has increased since the last order
- The number of children the parents have together increased significantly
- Extraordinary expenses for things like private school or health care
- The cost of childcare
- The cost of health insurance
- Special expenses for things like travel for visitation
- Extraordinary expenses for things like country club fees or a boat
- The cost of transportation for visitation
- The cost of a home internet connection
- Any income earned by the children
- Any tax refunds or credits due the children
- The cost of college or vocational training
- Any other expenses that are necessary for the child's well-being
Contact Our Firm for Help Today
Whether you are behind on your child support or want to dispute the amount you owe, we can help. We can also represent you in court if you are facing a contempt of court charge. Contact our firm to discuss your case.
Hear From Our Clients
Paul was fantasticDavid K.
I highly recommend Paul Kowal to be your divorce lawyer!!Anonymous
"I hired him and he immediately went to work on my case. I would highly recommend Paul to others."Scott K.
Paul S. Kowal
"Attorney Paul S. Kowal has been practicing law in Michigan since 1981. He earned his J.D. at University of Detroit School of Law in Detroit, Michigan, and earned his A.B. at University of Michigan in Ann Arbor, Michigan. Mr. Kowal founded Paul S. Kowal, PC in 2005 and has made it his goal to help families resolve any and all family law issues they may be dealing with."Read Full Bio
Experienced in Collaborative Divorce
Over Three Decades of Experience
Free Initial Consultation